I have seen so much debated lately online about what parenting choices some are making…what business is it to anyone else how anyone else parents their child?!?!! I am a fan of Life with Levi and saw a huge debate going on after she posted a nice uplifting picture of women with their babies and how they all made different choices but were still wonderful mothers. It turned into a circumcision debate! It got really ugly and it was really unnecessary. She posted a list of why she’s a “crappy” mom and I’m joining in with the others who are doing the same.
My kids’ car seats went forward facing at a year (I think one of them may have been a few days before their birthday)
- I don’t make my kids eat all their vegetables
- I don’t give my kids a bath EVERY night
- We sometimes skip lunch
- My kids are 7, 6, 3 and 11months and they all still take naps
- I do spank when the need arises.
- I have my kids signed up for as many extra curricular activities that we can manage and that they want to do
- I take them to church every Sunday morning.
- All of my kids are current on their vaccinations
- I part time cloth diaper Justin but only used disposables with the other 3.
- I let my kids run around in just underwear at home (Jaxon totally nude most of the time)
- We only get dressed in pants AND shirts if we’re going somewhere.
- We laugh more than cry.
- I don’t co-sleep but have the occasional Jaylin in bed with me when daddy’s on nights
- All 3 of my boys are circumcised.
- I don’t freak out when the baby puts something in his mouth (yes I do remove it)
- I laugh when my kids fall down
- I tell them all the time how cute/beautiful they are
- I tuck them in, every.single.night with a hug, kiss and sometimes Eskimo kisses if asked, sometimes it’s more than one!
- I let my 6 year old go home with a friend, on the bus.
- I let my kids have sleepovers
- My kids watch more than an hour of TV everyday
- I let the baby watch TV
- I cuddle my kids if they are sick or hurt.
- I sometimes feel the need to wrap my kids in bubble wrap as much as they get hurt, but I fight the urge haha!
- I let my daughter’s bff’s aunt take my baby for hours…just because she asked.
- My 7 year old is on medication for ADHD
- For Jaxon’s 3rd birthday I only baked him cupcakes and let him blow out a candle…it wasn’t a huge party.
- I let my kids play in the dirt and get messy all they want.
- My 3 year old still sucks his thumb…we’re not even worried about breaking the habit
- We had Jaylin’s ears pierced when she was a baby.
- We don’t hide nudity in this house, my kids come in the bathroom while I’m there and in my room while I’m getting dressed.
- We eat at McDonalds or Burger King when we have the money and I’m too tired to cook.
- My kids know I have a tattoo and I won’t be against it if they want one when they are 18
- My daughter wears a bikini to swim in
- I took my son on a roller coaster with me…he was scared but I think he’ll ride another one eventually.
- My kids do drink soda when we are taking long trips
- My kids get books for gifts and they don’t mind it!
- My 7 year old has his own puppy and my daughter has her own guinea pig…they feed/water/take care of themselves
- My 3 year old is in school full time and rides a bus
- My kids listen to any and every kind of music (except rap unless they are alone with Daddy)
- My 7 year old son HAS to sleep with 2 special blankets and a stuffed Blue
My kids are happy. It’s very rare you don’t hear laughter at my house (unless Jeffery is having a meltdown). I get compliments on how well they behave sometimes. I’m such a “crappy” mom that my kids are reading above their grade level, I have one being tested for the gifted program and both of the older kids love going to the book store! My 3 year old loves listening to his older siblings read to him and they happily do it too! Both the older kids can use a computer almost as good as me and Jeff. Minus a few emotional/behavioral/mental issues going on (go ahead…try to blame it on me…the psychiatrist is trying to!) everyone says how happy my kids are…I get compliments how happy my baby is and how good he is.
I never doubt my parenting choices when I look at my happy, healthy, smart kids! No one should ever have to be ridiculed about their parenting choices…it’s none of anyone else’s business (unless it’s illegal lol) If people would just mind their own business, this world would be a heck of a lot happier! No 2 people are going to think EXACTLY alike…heck Jeff and I disagree on a few parenting things but we don’t bash each other about it!
What makes you a “crappy” parent? Join Jen over at Life With Levi and link up if you decide to write a post about it or you can just leave me a comment!